Friday 14 December 2018

Snowflake melts

An insight into Remainer thinking today with an extrraordinary comment piece in the GUardina by one C Paterson, a novelist who wrote a novel about losing her job as a journalist. 

She is in full panic mode here at the thought of 'crashing out':

We all respond to stress in different ways. Since Monday afternoon, when I should have been trying to earn some money, I have been gripped by a migraine and the latest episode in the slow-motion national car crash, the one that was meant to end with a vote....Many of us are already dealing with the fallout of that vote that was meant to set us free. Homes that can’t be sold. Contracts put on hold. Lives on hold, as we don’t dare to make plans. Several people close to me have been told that they may well lose their jobs. I don’t know whether to believe Standard & Poor’s, which says that a million jobs will be lost in the case of a no-deal Brexit, or the Institute for Fiscal Studies, which says that a million workers will have their jobs or wages cut, or the Bank of England, which says that unemployment could rise to 7.5%....If we crash out of the EU without a deal, hundreds of thousands of people in this country will lose their jobs, their livelihoods and perhaps their homes.

Hundreds of thousands of people have already lost their jobs over globalisation, of course, not to mention EC-inspired austerity, but not NICE people? Those at risk are people she KNOWS. 

Paterson has taken her own redundancy hard, as I suppose exponents of identity politics would and must:

I lost eight pounds in three days. ...I didn’t stop shaking for two weeks. ... I ended up so exhausted by the search for work that I ended up sleeping in friends’ spare rooms as I put my flat on Airbnb. I didn’t tell him [a Brexit-voting fellow journalist] that losing my job felt like the worst thing that had ever happened to me. And I’ve had cancer twice.

Naturally, her feeelings are exactly the same as everyone else's, so a real catastrophe beckons. It's no longer even hundreds of thousands of jobs at risk but:

There are 66 million of us whose jobs, homes and futures are at stake. They lie in the hands of ideologues and revolutionaries [ear;ier., she accused the Labour Party of being revolutionaries], who can’t be bothered to engage with the boring realities of life, global trading [boring?] and the law....We didn’t vote [she voted Leave?] for hundreds of thousands of people to lose their jobs, medicines to be rationed and dead bodies to pile up. We didn’t vote for May’s crummy “deal”, which will just lead to years of more uncertainty as the real negotiations start [I can agree with that at least].

She wants it all to be as it was before this nasty referendum gave a vote to the wrong people.






No comments:

Post a Comment