Sunday 28 October 2018

A former remainer speaks

Briefings for Brexit has a number of excellent pieces, including a link to a piece by a young peson who voted Remain in 2016 but has since changed her mind. It seems to follow a simple narrative about  how reality dawned when she left uni, but my interest is , as always, what she saw in the EU in the first place:

Devastated. Absolutely heartbroken. I will never forget it. That sombre walk to work on the morning of 24th June 2016 and the furious discussions that I had with people that day. Continuous mourning into the weekend, and the apprehension and genuine fury at the prospect of seeing my Leave-voting grandparents for dinner that Sunday night...

I had voted Remain primarily based on values: I liked what it stood for – its aims of liberalism, globalism and international cooperation resonated with me...I admired other European countries and the progress that they had made on issues that I cared so passionately about. From drug reform in Portugal to gender equality in Sweden, I admired their work and I saw sharing our decision-making powers with them as nothing but a benefit...The EU had its flaws, of course, but on balance I felt it better to be reforming on the inside with a guaranteed seat at the table. Besides, leaving would no doubt cause disruption to several sectors, including my own, so why bother taking the risk or rocking the boat? I simply hadn’t been sold on any of the arguments for Leaving. Either that, or I chose not to listen to them.

I didn’t know many people who voted Leave – and for those few that I did come across, I was so set in my own echo chamber that I wasn’t willing to enter into the debate with any real sincerity.

No comments:

Post a Comment