Sunday 21 October 2018

Still no answers II*

The BBC talked to two young women on the PV march and asked for their views. One broke off her answer to howl loudly and passionately with the crowd.The other said she was furious at 'all this mess'. Yet another said it was awful that factories were closing. So--not much help there then.

Another Observer piece has more voxpops with marchers:


Kevin Macken, 67, retired [obligatory old person to deny it is a generational issue?]
“I don’t normally have strong opinions on politics. The only time I’ve been to a protest before was 47 years ago, while I was training as a teacher in London, to demonstrate against Margaret Thatcher’s education cuts....This time, I’m doing it for my grandchildren: my eldest daughter Ellen has two, and my youngest, Becky, has one on the way [generational/family politics again?]....For the past 45 years we’ve been an active part of Europe, and have benefited from it massively, [!] but the next generation is about to lose all that...“A second referendum is essential because were lied to by the Leave campaign. The fact that Boris Johnson supported them says it all; he’s a comedian, not a politician. He doesn’t take anything seriously and that has ruined people’s lives – a British mother, Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, is still in prison in Iran because of him [nothing to do with the Iranian Government then?].

Dave Disley-Jones, 51, NHS communications worker; Jenny Disley-Jones, 46, copywriter
“[The original Remain campaign pre Referendum stressed economic propsperity but that]  didn’t resonate with many people who don’t view their lives as prosperous. It was a missed opportunity to make a strong case about the jobs outside London that rely on free trade with the EU, such as car manufacturing in Birmingham.”...[but people still don't feel prosperous?] Dave says his home town of Birkenhead has benefited hugely from EU investment, but many people didn’t see it that way....“The EU has not been great at publicising its successes [hints of an early theme, now abandoned, here about how much the EU spends on projects in the UK -- Remainers didn't realize that it was UK money of course, one reason why they are so cross about the £350m issue] . I understand the concerns about uncontrolled immigration, but the conclusion that we should therefore leave the EU seems flawed because the net benefits of that migration have been positive.”[so you don't really understand the concerns with immigration at all?] [You can tell he is a 'communication worker' -- he knows just what to say to show 'concern']

Ella Thrush, 14, GCSE student; Ruth Thrush, 18, gap year; Fiona Cottam, 53, languages teacher“I’m angry that my age group didn’t get to vote,” said Ruth. “We’ll be the most affected if Brexit does happen. If there was a People’s Vote now, then I would get a proper say....Fourteen year-old Ella agreed: “If Brexit happens I won’t have the future I always dreamed of. Since I’m 14, demonstrating is the only way I can get my voice heard. A lot of people my age haven’t got fully formed views on politics yet, which is really frustrating [So where did she get her views from exactly?]. This is our future!” [and the rest of us can fuck off and die]...[Fiona says]...this is the single most important issue that I’ve faced in my lifetime, particularly for my children and the children I teach...“I’ve seen the numbers of students doing languages at A-level drop year on year. Who can blame them, if the message is that we will no longer engage with Europe?”[where do you start with this?]

No comments:

Post a Comment