Tuesday 12 March 2019

EC = Europe' (again)

El Guranido seems a bit quiet on the day of the Great Second Meaningful Vote,although they must have a slight stirring of hope if the May Deal is defeated, as they predict. Because the next step will be to oppose exiting 'with no deal' on 29th, then asking for an extension. Hardly anyone thinks the EC 'concessions' on the Irish border will convince many people.

Meanwhile, it seems that 'students' are mobilising to attend a march pressing for a second vote. Interestingly, a student group has also been formed to support Brexit, unnoticed by the Remainer press:

As a student myself, I have witnessed first hand the astonishing bias against Brexit from lecturers. Indeed, universities themselves actively push for a second referendum. Lecturers have terrified and bewildered their students into staying silent on the Brexit debate. This remarkable breach of trust to remain impartial has resulted in a generation of students who are stuck in a rut of chronic self-doubt about their own beliefs.


An anonymous piece in the Times told how hard it was to be a Brexiteer in the Civil Service, whose hostility seemes to be based on the usual distancing contempt for ignorant Leavers:

Most horrifying, however, is the sheer disdain and utter contempt that my colleagues display towards people who voted to leave....I live in fear that my colleagues will discover through a slip of my tongue that I am a Brexiteer. Were this to happen, I genuinely believe that most would refuse to talk to me again and that I might even lose my job... I have witnessed first-hand civil servants doing everything within their power, subtly and under the surface, to frustrate Brexit and talk it down at every opportunity...scaremongering, created and whipped up by civil servants, is having a marked impact on the confidence and wellbeing of ordinary citizens...

Student marchers give some reasons for wanting to stay in 'Europe':

“For lots of young people Brexit was a watershed moment. They have been politicised by it. This is a fight based on values and how we want our country to be.”...“Young people are showing what can happen when they raise their voices.”...students on [one] campus are particularly concerned about European students having to pay much higher fees and uncertainty over visas. Others are panicking about whether they will be able to obtain vital medicines if Britain crashes out of the EU without a deal...“Most of the undergraduates here didn’t vote in the referendum. There is this sense that this huge shift is happening that will affect their futures and they haven’t had a say.”...“Last time I couldn’t vote and it is so frustrating having to stomach this mess,” ... “My tutor asked me recently what I wanted to do after university, and I said ‘How can I possibly plan?’ So much of what I want to do involves other EU countries.” [She is a student in War Studies at KCL!]

No comments:

Post a Comment