Saturday 23 March 2019

Remainer vox populi

In the Guardian today, reporting-while-celebrating the imminent march for a PV:

The timing feels right to march now: we could make a real difference because things have come to a head after rumbling on for so many months. It’s gotten [sic -- by a man from Dorset] to a point where we really could be influential. 

Initially, I wasn’t going to go on the march because I have PTSD and anxiety which makes it very difficult to be in crowds...It’s been unreal [not the frequent 'surreal'] 

I’m marching because young people want to live in a country bigger than our back yard. We want to live, work and travel across Europe. We appreciate our teachers and doctors who come to work in Britain and make it a vibrant place, a better place.watching our politicians’ incompetence, ignorance and their arrogance. I just hope they won’t ignore us now when we come to London – so many people are making a long trip and we need our voices to be heard..I think young people will be angry at the march but not in a violent way – we will be saying: why are you are taking away our future? The Brexit elite, like the Jacob Rees-Moggs of the world, will be OK if we leave the EU, but we won’t. We have to have our say on that.

[From D Smith, celebrity cook] I’m marching because I am a passionate remainer and I will feel physically hurt if we leave the EU...There were promises over the NHS [still hurts then]. Now we have had time to think it through and it’s so clear that leaving will be awful....The leadership on this has been a total disaster on both sides. We wanted clarity and instead we have the two main parties squabbling while the people are left behind.

We’ll be travelling overnight, so there might be sing-songs and there is a DVD player on the coach, but I hope that nobody brings their bagpipes...I feel optimistic about revocation. The number of signatures on the petition shows that people have had enough, even people who voted to leave.

I’m a single mum with two small children and I’m autistic. I will be marching with around eight other women. We’re part of an online group for autistic mothers. More than 100 members of the group have asked us to march for them, so we’re representing our community as well...we will be angrier and more determined...I’m marching because when this is all over, I want a clean conscience, to know I have done everything I could to stop Brexit. Oh, and I want good stories to tell my grandchildren. Assuming we all survive.

[Well-known democrat A Campbell]: What the past two years has shown is that the Brexit that was promised is undeliverable – there is no Brexit that can be done without damaging the country...All along, the marches have played a really important role [except the one opposing intervention in Iraq, of course] . If you look back at when we started, we were the minority, seen as the people who wouldn’t accept that the war was over, but we’re now polling as the most popular outcome of the various options that are being put forward...We also have people coming from all over the country and Europe to show their support – that shows you how much desire there is for the march and for the cause behind it

So -- 2 celebs, one younger man, one black woman, two older people (with specific needs), and a Scot who wants a sing-song.



No comments:

Post a Comment