Saturday 6 April 2019

More Guardian Remainer anxieties and stresses

God how they worry! Here are bits of some readers' letters, solicited by el Graun. Typical or pole cases? You're not supposed to ask, but the identity combinations get weirder as you go down. Just enjoy the emotion, and resist any temptation to suggest that these people might be reassured by a nice cup of tea and a chat with a neighbour -- and a quick check on regulations.



[from the owner of a clothes shop in Norwich and musician]:
We have no idea if we’ll be able to continue to receive deliveries after leaving the EU or how much prices will increase if there is no deal. How can we plan when we don’t know what we’re planning for? Suffering from anxiety is a nightmare through this. We all feel so angry and left out of the decision-making process. We voted to remain and passionately desire to stay within the EU....I fear that bigotry has a platform and without care it could become the norm again.

[teacher and EU citizen living in the UK]
I have been incredibly stressed since June 2016, having many sleepless nights debating what to do....none of our rights have been guaranteed [I must say I thought hey had been -- will the Guardian reassure this woman?] . I am particularly worried about my children, who deserve to have a British passport, but I’m totally scared of applying for fear of being rejected, which has happened to several people I know and who have gone back to their country of origin. It feels undemocratic, racist and shameful...I feel totally betrayed. I still think I will stay in the UK, [!] the country where I have lived longer than my country of origin, unless things descend into complete chaos. No deal would be catastrophic, humanely and economically.

[UK citizen living in Sweden]
despite all the rhetoric about protecting UK citizens living in the EU nothing has been finalised [ That's the EU's problem?]...to ensure I’m allowed back in on the same terms as when I leave Sweden, I have to get a stamp in my passport. As the process for getting a stamp won’t be put in place before a decision is taken on the form of Brexit, the chances are I will not be able to get a stamp in time. This means instead of looking forward to being able to stay in Sweden for at least the next year and having plenty of time to sell up, pack and find somewhere to live in the UK, I may have to do it in three months.

[mobile oil worker, now redundant] 
I live in a camper van in France, Spain and Portugal, mostly, working four weeks on and four off in the oil industry, but now wonder – is my lifestyle about to made illegal? Can I still legally drive in Europe? Is my van still insured? If I have an accident and I’m hurt, will I be treated?

[A research scientist and EU citizen living in the UK]
It is a feeling of desperation. I am a German citizen who has lived and worked in the UK for 21 years. I am married to a British man and had thought that this was my home. That mental state has changed dramatically – it is hard to accept that the majority in this country rejects immigrants. I am always told “not you, of course”, but that is not how the mind works....Applications from EU countries are down. EU scientists are leaving, and EU scientists from abroad do not come here anymore...most of our (often perishable) supplies we need to do our experiments come from warehouses strategically scattered all over Europe,...But once we leave work, we may not stay here. However, most of my pension comes from here, and if the pound suffers a similar crash like after the referendum, we will struggle. 

[London film editor]
It is an absolute shambles. I voted remain and was gutted with the result, but never expected it to be this chaotic. It’s definitely a worst-fears sort of situation. I work a lot in Sweden and Norway and currently a no-deal Brexit could be a disaster for me financially...Having a nine-month-old baby adds to the stress [!]...My wife and I have half-jokingly discussed moving to Norway ... ironically, of course [what else?]. It’s not part of the EU yet has all the economic benefits...I worry what precedent this sets for other Eurosceptic parties in the EU and what that means for liberal progressive ideals. I worry about the young people in this country being cut off from so many opportunities to study, work, fall in love, live life where they want. My wife is half-Irish so my child will be sorted

[carer living in Scotland]
I was very depressed about this looming date of doom. Eventually, I had to unfollow various Brexit commentators on social media who, although well-meaning, were greatly adding to my sense of panic.  I had to accept that there was really nothing I could do to stop it....We have stocked up a little on a few things like tinned food, tea, coffee and sugar in case of emergency

[EU citizen living in Edinburgh] 
When I retired, after over 30 years’ working in education, just after the referendum, my plan was to enjoy my retirement with my husband back in Spain with my family. However, unsure what the situation will bring, and with my husband in poor health, the risk of losing access to health services over there has meant a postponement to our plans.

[British IT worker with French wife, living in Calais]
I’m trying to shelter my eldest son, who is eight, from what is going on because he’s already upset that “England is leaving Europe”. He’s worried he won’t be able to see his cousins and grandparents (who all live in Kent) so easily.

[UK tour operator]
have had to cancel various dates in recent weeks due to delays in the Brexit process. We don’t know if we would be covered by our insurance; if the drivers’ licenses will be valid; if the coaches are able to run in Europe.[ I thought that was all settled too]...You can’t run a business with so much uncertainty. Also, most of our overheads are paid in euros, and a volatile pound has not helped during these last three years... my parents are here as non-EEA family members of an EU national, but their future is uncertain and that is very stressful for them at their age. It is very stressful at their age to not know what the future holds for you, especially when you have absolutely no power over it. We have decided to take the plunge and move to Europe and feel lucky we have an online business and can be a bit nomadic, but Brexit uncertainty has definitely pushed us to make the step much earlier than planned

[US spouse of a Brit living in Spain] 
We are scared that we may be forced to live apart, with one of us having to stay in Spain while the other moves back to the UK to work and support both of us. This is all as a result of the government’s inability to clarify key issues for all UK citizens and their families. 

[bookseller and academic,German citizen living in the UK]
Even though I was born in Germany, I feel like a dual citizen. I have spent around 10 years in the UK and I do not understand the benefits of leaving the European Union. I only see the positives of the EU...I feel confused, angry and scared. And there is nothing I can do... If there is a no deal I would not be able to move so quickly to the UK...I’m really scared.
All good solid reasons to reverse the votes of 17m plus people and remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment